Disney Dream

Disney Dream

Friday, April 1, 2011

Our Cabins 5022 and 5020 - family oceanview cat 8a


About 6 weeks before going on the cruise, after the dream had started sailing with passengers, I started to see photos of our cabin.

These photos created questions for me as I had thought that both cabins would sleep 4, have a slit bath and have a round tub shower with a rainfall shower head.  This was all based on what the DCL website said.
So I emailed my awesome TA at Mei Suzy.   She told me that our rooms slept 3 (crap), but we did have a split bath.  Now based on photos I had seen from another TA who slept in these cabins, I knew that wasn't true.

I have to say that I actually cried when I found out the rooms slept 3.  We have 4 kids, and none of them sleep well when they share a bed, we will do it for one night but for 4 nights that is too much and usually it ends up that my husband and I have to each sleep with one of the girls.   Our hope was to have the children in one room and us and the baby in another.  So this made us have to change this view.  Thankfully I had those weeks to deal with this (and some of you may think this is a small inconvenience, but when you have planned a trip for over a year and paid as much money as we did, plus we were celebrating our 10th year anniversary)

photo of our bathroom
 Now to the bathroom,  as you can see from the photo it was indeed not a split bath.  It took DCL almost the full 6 weeks to admit that the room only had a single bath.  Thanks to Suzy and Beci at MEI for all the work they did to get Disney to confirm this was true (the website has been changed, but I have the print out of the original wording).

We arrived into the room just after 1:30.  The layout of the room is side ways, so there are two large portholes.  The bed is in front of one.

The bed in 5022,  you can see the TV in front of it.



Taken from the porthole looking into the room.  The entrance to the room is to the left of the closet on the same wall.
 
 This layout creates a lot of space between the couch and bed area and the entrance/ closet.

5020 has a longer desk taking up almost the entire wall.

The bed in room 5020

So in the end we loved the layout.  Sarah and Meagan had one room and  Gillian, my husband and I and the baby slept in the other.  We had lots of space, we never had to fold up the stroller.  One morning we had 7 people and a pack n play in room 5020 and we didn't feel like we were jumping over each other.

Now the bathroom wasn't bad, there was only one day where Sarah was in the shower for one of her hour long showers and someone else was using the other bathroom and we had a bathroom emergency.

The one thing that is a little annoying is the key cards.  When you book two cabins with two adults and 4 children, you have to put an adult name in each room.  Thus hubby and I had keys to different rooms.  It gets a little frustrating when you know children are sleeping in one room and you have to walk by them to get to your room.  I could never remember what room I was registered in so when we signed for things, I am sure that I signed the wrong room.  For shutters we had 2 books with most of the same photos in them, such waste as in the past they would only make one copy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Saundra

    The travel consultants I just started working with had the same beliefs about the Cat 8As that you ran into - in other words, they thought the DCL description of split bath... was correct. I had talked with friends who had seen with their own eyes that this was not correct. And then there is the difference between decks 5 and 6 (to have a wall or a pole...)

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete